Monday, June 15, 2009

...and here we go...!

Hey everyone! Thanks for your patience! It has been an incredible 2 weeks, and it might take too long to update you on everything that has happened, but I'll try to fill you in on at least some of the highlights!

It has been such a blessing to be with Ben each evening (not to mention eating out almost every night!), and to share some semi-normal time together. Yes, Ben had to work, but at least we were able to see each other every evening.
On the weekend, Jason and Dani came down, always enjoyable! Shopping, crib, and more shopping...really great. We even got to see some other family and friends while Ben was here - the evening at Spanish Banks was a real highlight (thanks, John and Helen!) watching the sunset and listening to a group of about 40 people with various ethnic drums just enjoying the rhythms! Another special night was the final night of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, where we shared the evening with a roomful of people at Moxie's - thankfully we were almost all cheering for the same team!  The 2 who were cheering for the "other" guys left after the 2nd period!!  Sadly, Ben left for home on Saturday, but it hopefully won't be too long until I'm on my way there, too!

So now I'm back here at my "one-star all-inclusive" (as Ben nicknamed GFS!).  Today was supposed to be back to normal, but I started the day with a migraine, and threw up, so that did me in for the morning. This afternoon, I went to my session for Driver Rehab, which I was looking forward to. After several different tests, the examiner was saying that I should be fine with a couple sessions with the instructor to prepare to do a road test, and I should be fine. I only had to complete a 40 question multiple choice test from a video. I did the test questions, and thought all was going great. But when the 3rd scenario came up, it was a picture of a crash site, and I started to shake - I didn't even see the question. The 4th scenario was a video of a car being rear ended, and I realized that I was getting nauseous. I stood up and left the room, and found the examiner, informing him of what happened. I was surprised at the intensity of my reaction, but realized that I am not ready to drive. I'll be coming back sometime in September for other appointments, so I'll do the sessions with the instructor then, as well as see the driver rehab psycologist. By that time, I should be able and ready to deal with whatever residual feelings and emotions that may still be hiding. So the healing process continues...!

On a more positive note, my eyesight is getting progressively better! I don't wear a patch any more, which forces my eyes to work together better. I also passed the balance test which allows me to be independant in the complex. In other words, NO MORE WHEELCHAIR, AND NO MORE WALKER! I can even do the stairs, too!  So that's a real milestone! The work that I am doing since then in physio is for fine tuning and improving balance and posture. I have to admit...some of the things I'm working on, I couldn't even do before the accident! I'm also enjoying the pool time, which is a great chance to feel "normal" - until I start swimming, that is! (Sigh!) But in all areas, improvement is coming! Ben's limp is also better, and his foot doesn't swell as much. Aaron will be going back to work this week, but still has some pain in his ankles. The physiotherapy seems to have helped somewhat. He and Jason managed quite well on their own, and according to Jason, "ate like kings"! Oh well, we'll deal with the budget later!!

Many have asked about how things were going with my roommate, Claudia.  She is coping better, and I have really been blessed to be able to pray with her through several difficulties. God has placed me here for a specific reasons, and I'm confident that she is one of them. It has been such a priviledge to be here for her, and to help her when she's experiencing some of the same difficulties that I've been carried through. God is so good, and I can now say what I have thought that I would be able one day to say - that I am thankful for the accident and for where it has brought me in my life. We have learned so much, and have grown in ways that we had not thought possible. We know the journey isn't finished yet, and can hardly wait to see what else God has in store for us, and the lessons that will yet come for us to learn. For sure, we have experienced that in our weakness, He is strong. We give God the glory for the grace that He has shown us, and for the mercy to have a second chance at living life the way He wants us to. We're far from perfect, and have a long way to go, but we're looking forward to the journey!

By the way, anytime you'd like to come visit, I'm more than up to having visitors in the evening, as I still have a few weeks left. I should find out tomorrow for sure when they are going to let me go home, but there's always the possibility that I may have to stay longer for extra physio. I'll keep you posted!

So now it's time to get some extra sleep, and I'll try to be more faithful with posts! Keep praying for us to learn and listen, and be ready when God wants to use us, and we'll pray the same for you!!

With gratefulness for many blessings,

Judy

2 comments:

  1. Hey Judy. Its good to read how God is guiding you in the process of healing. I've been flowing your blog and praying for all of you.
    Fred Buhler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy. It's so great to read your updates and hear what God is doing in your life. Sounds like you are progressing so well. How's your voice coming along?? Still praying and still hoping for your total recovery. It's so great to hear that home is not too far away. Hugs, Sherry Breck :)

    ReplyDelete