Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It's my turn finally!

Greetings to everyone who faithfully follows this blogspot!  Yes, this is Judy typing!  I am finally able to access a computer and do this myself.  Although I am not doing too good so far...I have just spent the past 20 minutes composing this message, only to hit something wrong, and deleted the whole message!  So I will try to remember what I just wrote, and do this again!
 
I know that I wanted to try to express my gratefulness to all of you who have prayed or cared for our family in some way.  There will never be words to describe how thankful and humbled we all are for the overwhelming support and interest in our lives.  God has truly upheld and carried us through you, and we know that it is because of you and your prayers that we make it through each day. 
 
It has only been since Friday that I have had access to a computer.  It took awhile,  but I finally read through the entire blog, including all the comments.  It was very strange to read about the things that I have lived through the past 3 months, and also enlightening - my memory of some of those days and weeks is foggy to say the least!  But again, I was so overwhelmed by not only the number of people who are following this, but by the outpouring of love and support through your comments.  I know this is not enough, but thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!! God will reward you for you faithfulness in prayer - we can never repay or thank you enough!
 
So now I thought I would tell you about what my days look like here at GF Strong Rehab Centre.  Believe it or not, I am usually awake by 6, but do not usually get up then! I am not supposed to get out of bed on my own, so I wait until the nurses bring me my breakfast (in bed!) which is usually around 7:45 or 8. I have been given clearance to have a shower on my own, and I only need assistance from the nurses for getting in and out, and with washing my hair. My arms are still quite weak, and my range of motion quite limited, but we are working on increasing that. I am also able to dress most of myself, albeit is a slow process!  Then there are the classes - an hour of physiotherapy and usually an hour of occupational therapy, which takes on various forms. One day they came to my room to teach me to dress myself.  Another day the group went to the park and played games (I sat that one out - too tired!). Tomorrow I will be introduced to the kitchen, and will make my own lunch on Thursday! They do whatever you need to become more independent.  I will share a funny story with you about this. In a hands class, the instructor handed me a roll of plastic wrap (the really sticky kind) and a pencil, and told me to wrap it up.  My sister, Ellie, was with me that day, and as I wrapped it up really tight twisting the ends shut really well, I smugly said that they would never get it out!  Then as I handed it to the instructor, she handed it back to me and told me to unwrap it! My sister said it served me right!
 
Lunch is served at 11:30 in a common room, or in your room if you choose.  I like to go to the common room, and meet the other people on this floor. There are 4 floors to the center, each for a different disability.  The second floor is only for spinal cord injury. Not everyone is able to be at the table to feed themselves - many need to be fed. I have met some wonderful new friends, and enjoy the time of getting to know them.  As for the food, I am still on puréed food for now but they make it taste pretty good most of the time.  I found out tonight that I am NOT a fan of puréed spinach or puréed salmon. Ugh.   I will be tested tomorrow again for being able to advance to minced food, so if you are reading this before Wednesday at lunch, pray for my swallowing ability to be improved!  I am really starting to crave real food!  If I do not pass the swallowing test (I will let you know) then please pray that I will be content to continue eating mush, and that my hunger for other foods would go away!
 
In the afternoon there are various other activities, and sometimes other classes.  Monday and Friday afternoon I have music therapy, where I am re-learning my piano skills.  I am so thankful for this opportunity, and am able to practice on my own keyboard in my room - Jason brought it down for me last weekend! Typing is also another good form of therapy, although I must admit that my fingers and arms are getting a little tired! I might have to continue tomorrow...but I will finish the day at least!  Dinner is served early - 4:30 - so that leaves quite a bit of free time in the evening. There are activities on some nights (movies, swimming, Wii games, etc) but I have not gone to any as yet.  Usually by the time dinner is over, I am done! I relax, read or watch TV, or sometimes someone comes to visit.  Speaking of which, I am so thankful for my mom and sister who have been able to be here almost every day since I have come!  Soon my sister will have to go back to work, but I have so enjoyed her company here and we have grown so much closer, now that we have shared accidents together! For those of you who do not know, and I do not think it was on the blog, my sister was in a car accident only 3 days before we were, and suffered severe concussion resulting in vertigo that was very debilitating. But between her own therapy sessions, she still has found the time to be with me here!  And my mom...what can I say...she has been there for me throughout, and is here most days.  For her it brings back memories, as my father was here in 1984 after his stroke.  He regained many abilities the doctors told him he would not be able to do, and so will I!
 
Anyway, that should be more than enough for now.  Tomorrow I would like to tell you all the story of a special gift that my sister gave me...you will have to check back for that one, my fingers are giving out (and the spell check is not working, neither is the apostrophe key!).  Please let me know if there is anything in particular that you are wanting to know, and I will try to answer your questions.
 
So for now, thank you all again, and keep praying! God is SO GOOD, ALL THE TIME!  I have His peace and contentment to be here for this time, and although I miss my family and friends, He gives strength for each day and joy to carry on.  What more can I ask for but that I can be a testimony for Him, a light and an example of His love in this place, and that He receive ALL the glory for what He is doing in my life.  I thank you once again for keeping us all in your thoughts and prayers.
 
Till soon,  Judy

6 comments:

  1. Love you, Auntie Judy! It's so awesome to see you on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, God is so good - He has been so faithful throughout this and answered so many prayers. It is so exciting for those of us here in PG, praying, to be able to read how you are doing and how you are progressing! Hoping and praying that the swallowing test goes well tomorrow.

    Colleen Price

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, that you wrote your own update is totally exciting, even for me, a 'complete stranger' who until Jan.30 didn't even know a thing about you.But since then, because we know the 'other family' we have been following your blog, praying and rejoicing. I am so glad that your boys have their mom and your husband his wife. Since the accident we all cherish eachother more and the words "Drive Carefully" have way more meaning. May God continue to bless you with grace and strength and patience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is delightful to read about your small and big victoires and the progress you have made. It is such an encouragement for us to keep praying for you, knowing specific things to talk to God about for you, and to praise Him for the many answered prayers for you and your family.

    We know how hard it is to be separated from family, but to have your mom and sister there with you is a special blessing and so necessary for your health and recovery.

    Hopefully today, as you sit in the dining room with your new friends who can totally relate to what you are going through, you are chewing bits of food!

    Enjoy the Sonshine in a special way today,
    Debbie Goertzen

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY JUDY!
    I am so happy to be able to hear you speak thru your fingers.... what a blessing for us as followers.... GOD has answered many, many prayers, it truly is wonderful to see his work in progress.
    You and your family have been such a eyeopener and a blessing to me in many more ways that you will never know. I pray that I can be as strong as you all have been thru all of these trials. Some big trials to me seem so small now to what you have all faced. YOU are a blessing more than you will ever know.
    I am so happy you are in a good place for healing and growing, hoping the challenges will get even more easy every day. What a wonderful feeling to have a shower on your own..... I can only imagine how wonderful it must be, we take things like that so forgranted every day when we are home. Also being able to eat what we want we take forgranted.... salmon, spinach.... Yuck, lol hope they dont serve you puree liver... I remember back in my nursing days feeding that to patients.... hated every minute of it... LOL put it on your allergy list quick.... hope this gives you a smileor laugh Judy!
    Keep up the wonderful improvements Judy, you will soon be home! You and yours are very loved and missed. Tammie (and Floyd) Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy...we've been following along at the Conservatory, and are so glad to know that you are progressing so well. PG has really been rallying for you, and it's hard to go somewhere and not hear your name being mentioned (especially in music circles). We're looking forward to cheering with you when you return.

    Enjoy your music therapy, and tell me all about it when you get home--it's my dream job!

    Love,
    Krista Pattie

    ReplyDelete