Thursday, April 30, 2009

The gift...

I've promised for 2 days now to tell you about the special gift that my sister made for me, and it's period break in the game, so now seems like a good time!
 
You all know that in the accident I suffered an incomplete fracture between the vertebra called C1 and C2, the top of the spinal column, which hold the skull on the neck.  My memory of the first few weeks is very muddled due to pain, medication and the concussion.  I assumed, and had told the doctors, that the surgery to fuse them together was done within days of the accident. It wasn't until the night my brother and sister-in-law were here shortly after my arrival at GF Strong that they told me what really happened.  It wasn't until 7days after the accident, after doing an MRI to determine why my arms and legs weren't moving, that they found the fracture. My brother and his wife were there the next day, immediately after the surgery.  They talked  to the doctor who did the surgery and were told that all that held my head onto my neck was 1 mm of tissue,  and that I was very "lucky" to be alive. To top this off, keep in mind that the nurses had stopped log-rolling my head when I was being turned (in other words, holding my head and neck together when turning my body). They were just turning my body, and my head was being held by God's hands alone!!! This news really made me stop and again be so grateful to be alive! It also made me realize how little I remember from those first 2 - 3 weeks.  So for those of  you who visited me during my time in ICU, thank you for your patience with me as I sort out my memories from my fantasies!
 
Now back to my sister - (Ellie has given me permission to share this story) - she was working in her craft room one night, re-stringing a bracelet that had broken (thrifty girl!).  The cord wasn't quite the right size, so she looked in her supplies to see what other sizes she had in there.  She picked up a spool of clear elastic cord, and looked to see what size it was.  Upon seeing the diameter of 1 mm marked on the spool, her mind and heart immediately thought of the 1 mm of stretchy, clear ligament that held my head for those 7 days.  She told me that she froze on the spot, and spent the next 30 minutes or so just feeling that slender cord, tears streaming down her face, praising God for His mercy and goodness, and for sparing my life.  Then she had an idea - to make me (and my family) bracelets to remind us of that gift from God.  She put on that cord one single, imperfect pearl, also as a reminder that God isn't finished with me yet!  She came out on Monday just to bring it out to me, and to share what it meant to her.  I wear that cord with joy, and it has already allowed me the opportunity to share my story and God's part in it with several people!  I love that gift, and my sister for creating it, and thank God for giving her that moment. Go find a ruler and look how big 1 mm is - you might be surprised! I know I was!
 
Just to let you all know, I am very excited that Ben will be arriving here for the weekend tomorrow morning! He's coming down for our first team/family planning meeting (which is on Monday at 11), and for some time with me! So don't bother checking back here for a few days...I won't be posting till Monday night at the earliest!  And if you live in the Vancouver area and have been wanting to see us, just give a quick call to make sure we're in (you can call GF Strong direct, and they'll give me a message to call you).  He'll be here until Monday afternoon. 
 
Oh, one other thing quickly - I did stairs today!
 
Praising God daily, love, Judy

Judy Wiebe 
Take Note Vocal Studio

7 comments:

  1. It's so awesome to get lots of info. The boys did their best but we all know their words are limited to so many per day! It is definitely an act of God that kept your head from falling off. I looked at 1mm, it's not that big especially considering the weight of a human skull, brains, teeth.... I am so happy to hear each and every accomplishment. Keep it up and get back here to teach me that breath control ;0P Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy - just to be straightforward - I am Regina Naegeli's daughter (the one that lives in Vancouver). I have been following your story from a link on Curtis' blog (I hope you don't mind). Thank you for sharing your story. Wow....
    I wanted to let you know that I am an x-ray tech UBC Hospital. I am on a maternity leave right now but I assume the people from GF are still going there for x-rays and other procedures. I wish I could be there with you through some of those! If you want, let them know you have a connection and say hi to them for me :)!
    Praying for you.
    Carolyne Breedveld

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad to see you writing about this.... you should consider writing a book! don't laugh, you'd make an excellent author:)

    thanks for sharing with us.

    in our prayers.
    Ivon, Anita and kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I just read the update and told my husband "Judy has an excellent sense of humor,I would love to meet her". I thoroughly enjoy reading your progress reports and agree, this is definetly book material. Your relationship with your sister reminds me of my own with my 2 sisters. You just gotta love them. Praying you'll keep that courage and positive outlook...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy, I do remember asking the nurse why you weren't moving your arms and legs when I saw you the day after your accident and they said they didn't really know. A little scarey that they waited that long to check into it. I also praise God that things are working out so well. Your strength and courage are a blessing to me!

    Susanna Braun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Judy, your in our thoughts,thanks for the updates.
    Alice & Greg

    ReplyDelete