Thursday, February 11, 2010

February...

Honestly, I never meant for this much time to elapse since my last post. I can't believe that it has been almost 2 weeks! I've had a wonderful time in Vancouver and Victoria, doing some relaxing and attending some appointments. Here's a quick recap:
- First, the wedding on the 30th of my nephew was absolutely beautiful, even if it was raining outside. It was so good to be surrounded by family and friends that day, the one year anniversary of the accident. We ended the evening with a time of prayer with our boys who were all down for the wedding as well. What a privilege to share such a blessed time, reflecting on how different things are now compared to then. We are so aware of the many, many miracles that we have been a part of, and continue to be amazed at the honor that has been given to us to have been brought through the fire!
- Second, Aaron and I took a few days to putz around Victoria. I had forgotten how beautiful that city was! We enjoyed the warm weather, the ocean and just having fun together. We did some of the 'tourist' things, and rented a car for a day, driving around the coastal areas. It was a great break for both of us from the regular routine.
- Third, Christopher and I had some time to hang out in Vancouver as well, and I especially enjoyed attending church with him last Sunday. Being able to stay with my brother and his wife, which is where Christopher is staying while he is at BCIT, was another treat. Christopher will be finished his apprenticeship program this Friday, and I'll be traveling back to PG with him.
I feel such joy in being able to spend time like that with my boys, and that they want to spend time with this old lady!! Now if I could only get to spend some time with Jason...!
- Fourth, I've been cleared for surgery on my eyes! I don't have a date yet, but the doctor determined that the surgery should be successful in restoring my eyesight back to normal!! PTL!! For now I will continue to wear a prism on my glasses, which allows me to see single vision for the most part. The surgery will probably be in April, and I can hardly wait!
- Fifth, I've been able to observe some of the Olympic hoopla going on here at the coast.Today we even got to watch the Russian pairs skaters during one of their practice sessions. What grace and control! It reminds me how much we need to work at letting Christ have control of what we do, just like the athletes are controlled by the coaches on the sidelines, who made them repeat segments of their programs over and over again. The final performance that we see on TV is like how most people observe each other - not seeing the hours of grueling preparation that result in the 3 minutes of seemingly effortless gliding and spinning, or the coach who trained them to become who they are. But our 'performance' needs to be a reflection of our 'coach' and His influence on our lives.
It's been a great time here, but I'm very much looking forward to being home again. Not having a routine leaves me more tired, but the weather here has been so fantastic that it will be hard to leave that behind! A few things to keep praying about:
- Continue to uphold the Bartel family
- Ben has been experiencing more pain in his foot and ankle. He has had it x-rayed, and is looking for some answers as to how to deal with it. We should have results sometime next week.
- Aaron will be looking for what to do for the next few months. He would like to go to Capernwray in Austria in April, and we are encouraging him to do that. It's costly, but worth the time and money for the understanding and insight to one's own faith that it gives.
- That we will continuously and joyfully be a testimony to the grace and glory of God in whatever way He sees fit. We all appreciate your interest in our lives so dearly, and thank you again for your love and prayers. Once I'm home again, and have established myself back into a routine, I hope to be able to give more of my time to things of importance, and keeping in touch with people is one of those things. I wasn't sure if I should continue this blog or not, but if you are still interested and think that it has a purpose, please let me know. If there is enough interest, then I guess that will be my answer! Until soon!!

2 comments:

  1. I am a total stranger . But i have been following your blog since the accident happen. My daughter goes to church with your son. You are such an insparation. The stengeth you have showed the world in incrediable. To end this would mean you have healed and went forth, which is wonderful. But it would mean you would no longer be reaching the people of the web with you testamoniy. That would be sad. Take this for what you think it is worth coming from a stranger. But thank you for your year of hard work and determination. You have reached a lot of people and showed them what the Lord can do. Stay stronge in what ever you chose to do. And God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your testimony to your faith, is so strong. Thank you for sharing it with us all! You are an example of God working in you and through you.

    ReplyDelete